Thursday 10 March 2011

Finger painting


I've dabbled with a few different sketching/painting apps for the iPad but few have captured my attention long enough to create something of note. For anyone familiar with digital desktop sketching, iPad drawing can often be a frustrating experience. A stubby digit is much less precise than a mouse pointer and a lack of keyboard really starts to show when short cut commands have to be selected from a menu (or worse by using complicated finger gestures).
For me Adobe Ideas gets it right. It doesn't try to recreate a desktop drawing experience but rather limits the controls at your disposal in favour of a streamlined interface. You can't cut/paste, create perfect shapes, fill, scale or even draw straight lines. What you get in the absence of all that is a piece of software that genuinely feels intuitive to use with one finger. Above is my first crack at finger painting but already I feel pretty hooked by it.